Sunday 21 May 2017

notation - Is there a standard name or shorthand for "plustorial"?








We're all familiar with factorial:
$$n>0,\quad n! = n \times (n-1) \times \cdots \times (n-(n-1))$$



I've occasionally seen "plustorial":
$$n>0,\quad n(\mathrm{plustorial}) = n + (n-1) + \ldots + (n-(n-1))$$



Some quick web searching indicates that there is some non-standard but somewhat common usage of the term "plustorial" to describe this, with shorthand being a double-dagger or an exclaimation point having a "+" rather than a dot beneath the vertical mark.




My question is: Is there a "real" standard name for this process and is there a standard corresponding shorthand? I understand that it could be written in sigma notation, was curious about something more terse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...