Friday 28 September 2018

calculus - Convergence of $sumfrac{|cos n|}{nlog n}$



I wonder if the series $$\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{|\cos n|}{n\log n}$$ converges.



I tried to applying the condensation test, getting $$\sum\frac{2^n|\cos 2^n|}{2^n\log{2^n}}=\sum\frac{|\cos 2^n|}{n\log 2}$$ but I don't know how to show it converges?



Am I in the right way?


Answer



Note that




$$|\cos n| \geqslant \cos^2 n = \frac1{2} + \frac1{2}\cos(2n).$$



Hence



$$\sum_{k=2}^n \frac{|\cos k|}{k \log k}\geqslant \frac1{2}\sum_{k=2}^n \frac{1}{k \log k}+\frac1{2}\sum_{k=2}^n \frac{\cos(2k)}{k \log k}.$$



The series on the LHS diverges because the first sum on the RHS diverges by the integral test and the second sum converges by Dirichlet's test.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...