Tuesday 4 September 2018

elementary set theory - Demonstrate that if $f$ is surjective then $X = f(f^{-1}(X))$

I haven't been able to do this exercise:





Let $f: A \rightarrow B$ be any function. $f^{-1}(X)$ is the inverse
image of $X$. Demonstrate that if $f$ is surjective then $X = f(f^{-1}(X))$ where $X \subseteq B$.




Since $X \subseteq B$, all the elements in $X$ belong to the codomain of $f$.



Since $f$ is surjective, it means that all elements in the codomain $B$ have some preimage in $A$. Given that $X \subseteq B$, all elements in $X$ must also have a preimage in $A$.




Have $\triangle = f^{-1}(X)$, $\triangle$ is now a set containing the preimages of the elements in $X$. Because of this, $\triangle \subseteq A$.



If we evaluate $f(\triangle)$, we...... nope, I don't know what I'm doing now.






What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...