Friday 21 September 2018

elementary number theory - Solve the Linear Congruence Equations.



I get so frustrated with modular arithmetic. It seems like every example I look at leaves steps out. I am trying to solve this problem:



Solve the linear congruence equations for x:




$x \equiv 2 \mod 7$



$x \equiv 1 \mod 3$



Ok, so I start



We know that 1st equation has a solution when $7 \mid (x-2)$. So there exists an integer k where $x = 2 + 7k$.



Ok, great. So I substitute into the 2nd equation:




$
2+7k \equiv 1 \mod 3 \implies \\
7k \equiv -1 \mod 3 \implies \\
7k \equiv 2 \mod 3
$



Now I need to find an inverse of this last congruence. How do I do that? I know there is one solution because gcd(7,3) = 1. This is the step I'm having problems on. If I can get the solution to $7k \equiv 2 \mod 3$ into the form $k = a + bj$ where $a,b \in \mathbb{N}$ then I know how to solve it.



Thank you.


Answer




Firstly note that by CRT we know that a solution exists $\pmod{3\cdot 7}$



To find the solution, you was right we have $x = 2 + 7k$ and then we find $7k \equiv 2 \mod 3$ that is



$$7k \equiv 2 \mod 3 \iff k \equiv 2 \mod 3 \implies k=2+3h$$



and therefore



$$x=2+7(2+3h)=16+21h \iff x\equiv16 \pmod{3\cdot 7}$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...