Monday 3 September 2018

trigonometry - Verify the following trigonometric identity.




Verify the following trig identity: $$\sin(3\theta)-\sin\theta = 2\cos(2\theta)\sin\theta$$




Here is my work so far.



$\sin(3\theta)-\sin\theta = 2\cos(2\theta)\sin\theta$




LHS:$$\sin(\theta+2\theta)-\sin\theta$$
$$\sin\theta \cos(2\theta)+\sin(2\theta)\cos\theta-\sin\theta$$
$$\sin\theta \cos(2\theta)+(2\sin\theta \cos\theta)\cos\theta-\sin\theta$$



Where do I go from here? I think I should leave the first term in the line above as is, and try and manipulate the second two terms to equal $\sin\theta \cos(2\theta)$, then the LHS will add together to equal $2\cos(2\theta)\sin\theta$, and the identity will be verified. How do you suggest I get there?



Any hints or advice would be appreciated.



EDIT:




I ended up verifying this identity using the identity frank000 mentioned in comments. Thanks to everyone for the input, it was all very helpful.


Answer



hint: also use $\sin(\theta) = \sin(2\theta - \theta) = \sin(2\theta)\cos(\theta)-\sin(\theta)\cos(2\theta)$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...