Saturday 23 February 2019

algebra precalculus - How do I show that $sqrt{5+sqrt{24}} = sqrt{3}+sqrt{2}$



According to wolfram alpha this is true: $\sqrt{5+\sqrt{24}} = \sqrt{3}+\sqrt{2}$




But how do you show this? I know of no rules that works with addition inside square roots.



I noticed I could do this:



$\sqrt{24} = 2\sqrt{3}\sqrt{2}$



But I still don't see how I should show this since $\sqrt{5+2\sqrt{3}\sqrt{2}} = \sqrt{3}+\sqrt{2}$ still contains that addition


Answer



Hint: Since they are both positive numbers, they are equal if, and only if, their squares are equal.



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...