Saturday 16 February 2019

fraction as index number?




given these inputs x = 4, S = [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10], and n = 10



 search (x,S,n) {
i = 1
j = n
while i < j {
m = [(i+j)/2]
if x > Sm then i=n+1
else j = m

end
if x = Si then location = i
else location = 0


This algorithm is from my discrete math hw. I'm confused as to what Sm would equal on the first iteration because m would be $\frac{11}{2}$. If i use a fraction as the index do I round down? Is there a general rule for this? Am I making any sense? Help pls


Answer



Yes, you should round down (or in other words, take only the integer part).



$$[11/2]=[5.5]=5$$




This is known as the floor function in mathematics (usually there is a floor(x) function in programming languages).


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...