Tuesday 12 February 2019

Proof series decreases by induction

I have a question regarding a proof by induction.
We have to see whether or not the following series converges.
$$U_n = \frac{1 \cdot 4 \cdot 7 \cdots (3n - 2)}{2 \cdot 5 \cdot 8 \cdots (3n-1)}$$
I was trying to do this by proving that this series has a lower limit of $0$ and is decreasing. It's easy enough to see that it has a lower limit of $0$ but proving (by induction) that this series is decreasing has proven to be difficult. I understand that I need to prove that $u_n > u_{n+1}$ but I have no idea how to go about doing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...