Monday 4 February 2019

sequences and series - Finding the convergence radius of $sum_{n=1}^{infty}frac{n!}{n^n}(x+2)^n$




I wish to find the convergence radius of the power series:



$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{n!}{n^n}(x+2)^n$$



I found the radius is $-e-2\lt x \lt e-2$ and this was also the answer in the book.



My problem is showing the power series does not converge at the edges.



For $x=e-2$ I used the ratio test and got a limit bigger than one.




For $x=-e-2$ I get an alternating series. how do I show it does not converge?


Answer



A useful inequality:



$$n!>\left(\frac ne\right)^n$$



which should help you show that it fails the term test at the boundaries.



The derivation of this follows by taking the log of both sides:




$$\ln(n!)>n\ln(n)-n$$



By the definition of the factorial, some log rules, and a Riemann sum,



$$\ln(n!)=\sum_{k=1}^n\ln(k)=\int_0^n\ln\lceil x\rceil~\mathrm dx>\int_0^n\ln(x)~\mathrm dx=n\ln(n)-n$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...