I want to evaluate the following integral using the tangent half-angle substitution $t = \tan (\frac{x}{2})$: $$\int_0^{2 \pi} \frac{1- \cos x}{3 + \cos x} ~dx$$ However, making the substitution gives me $0$ for each of the limits of integration, which is obviously incorrect. I know that one way to solve this problem is to notice that, by symmetry, the equivalent integral 2$\int_0^{\pi} \frac{1- \cos x}{3 + \cos x} ~dx$ allows the subsitution to work. What are ways to make this substitution work without noticing this symmetry? I know that this general question has been asked on here before, but I am specifically interested in how I can make it work with this substitution.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$
How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...
-
How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...
-
$$ 3x+6y+5z=7 $$ The general solution to this linear Diophantine equation is as described here (Page 7-8) is: $$ x = 5k+2l+14 $$ $$ y = -l $...
-
How can one proof the equality $$\sum\limits_{v=0}^k \frac{k^v}{v!}=\sum\limits_{v=0}^k \frac{v^v (k-v)^{k-v}}{v!(k-v)!}$$ for $k\in\mathbb{...
No comments:
Post a Comment