Sunday 20 October 2013

elementary number theory - mod cancellation: compute $, n/2bmod 6, $ from $,n bmod m,$ for even $n$



I am using the C++ language.
I want to calculate these 2 expressions:-



In our case, $x= 100000000000000000$




Expression(1)



$$((3^x-1)/2)\mod7$$



The numerator $3^x-1$ is always divisible by $2$(basic number theory)



I calculated the above expression using Extended-Euclid-Gcd algorithm.
The above algorithm only works when gcd(denominator,mod-value)=1...in our case $\gcd(2,7)=1$ . So we were able to calculate it using the above algorithm.



Expression(2)




$$((3^x-1)/2)\mod6$$



The numerator $3^x-1$ is always divisible by $2$(basic number theory-again)



Now, how do I calculate the above expression as $\gcd(2,6)=2$ which is not equal to $1$ ?


Answer



Set
$$y = \frac{3^x - 1}{2}.$$




Let $0 \leq b < 6$ such that $y = 6a + b$ for some integer $a$. Then
$$2y = 12a + 2b$$
and $0 \leq 2b < 12$, so you could simply compute $3^x - 1 \mod{12}$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...