Tuesday 15 October 2013

discrete mathematics - Proof by Induction: Solving $1+3+5+cdots+(2n-1)$



The question asks to verify that each equation is true for every positive integer n.



The question is as follows:



$$1+ 3 + 5 + \cdots + (2n - 1) = n^2$$



I have solved the base step which is where $n = 1$.




However now once I proceed to the inductive step, I get a little lost on where to go next:



Assuming that k is true (k = n), solve for k+1:

(2k - 1) + (2(k+1) - 1)
(2k - 1) + (2k+2 - 1)
(2k - 1) + (2k + 1)



This is where I am stuck. Do I factor these further to obtain a polynomial of some sort? Or am I missing something?


Answer



Assume true for $k$. Then consider the case $k+1$, you got $$1+3+\cdots+(2k-1)+(2(k+1)-1)$$ which is equal by inductive hypothesis $$k^2+(2k+1)=(k+1)^2$$ and this closes the induction.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...