Sunday 13 October 2013

linear algebra - Question about elementary row operations with block matrices

Given two $n \times n$ matrices $A$ and $B$, form a new block matrix



$$P := \begin{bmatrix}I_n&B\\-A&0\end{bmatrix}$$



Then by using only elementary row operations, show that $P$ can be transformed into



$$P' := \begin{bmatrix}I_n&B\\0&AB\end{bmatrix} $$







The solution to this problem is:



$$P = \begin{bmatrix}I_n&B\\-A&0\end{bmatrix} \sim \begin{bmatrix}I_n&B\\-A + AI_n &0 + AB\end{bmatrix} \sim \begin{bmatrix}I_n&B\\0&AB\end{bmatrix}$$



I don't understand this solution. Why can $A$ be multiplied from the left on the first half of the matrix and then be added to the second half of the matrix to form a sequence of elementary row operations?

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...