Sunday 27 October 2013

negative binomial - Probability that 4 boxes are purchased?


The probability that a randomly selected box of a certain type of cereal has a particular prize is 0.2. Suppose you purchase box after box until you obtained two of these prizes. What is the probability that four boxes are purchased?




My approach was to use negative binomial distribution:




Let $X$ be the number of boxes purchased that don't have a prize until you find two prizes.



P(4 boxes purchase) = P(2 boxes w/o a prize)
=$$\binom{x+r-1}{r-1}(p)^r(1-p)^x$$ = $$\binom{2+2-1}{2-1}(0.8)^2(1-0.2)^2$$ = $$\binom 3 1(0.2)^2(0.8)^2$$ = $$.0764$$



I wanted to know if this is correct approach to solving this kind of probability question?

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...