Friday 18 October 2013

summation - Series with Binomial Coefficients



I need to get a closed form for this series $$\sum_{x=0}^{\infty} x {z \choose x} \lambda ^ x \mu^{z-x}$$



I know that that $\sum_{x=0}^{\infty} {z \choose x} \lambda ^ x \mu^{z-x} = (\lambda + \mu)^z$ (formally) and I feel that I am supposed to proceed from here by differentiation, but I do not know how.


Answer



Let

$$\sum_{x=0}^{\infty} {z \choose x} \lambda ^ x \mu^{z-x}=(\lambda + \mu)^z$$
by differentiation about $\lambda$:
$$\sum_{x=0}^{\infty} x {z \choose x} \lambda ^ {x-1} \mu^{z-x}=z(\lambda + \mu)^{z-1}$$
multiple two sides with $\lambda$
$$\sum_{x=0}^{\infty} x {z \choose x} \lambda ^ x \mu^{z-x}=z\lambda(\lambda + \mu)^{z-1}$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...