Friday 25 October 2013

limits - How to compute $lim_{xtoinfty} frac{2^x}{x^{200}}$?





I am trying to solve this limit:
$$\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{2^x}{x^{200}}$$



The first result is an indetermination of the kind $\frac{\infty}{\infty}$ but here applying L'Hopital would be too long, I do not see any substitution by means of equivalent infinitesimals possible and simplifying the limit neither.



How can I solve it? The solution must be $\infty$. Thank you!


Answer



L'Hopital rule applied $200$ times leads to
$$\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{(\log 2)^{200} \,2^x}{200!}=\infty$$




Or you can take the logarithm of the limit



$$\log\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{2^x}{x^{200}}=\lim_{x\to\infty}\left(x\log 2-200\log x\right)=\lim_{x\to\infty}x\left(\log 2-200\frac{\log x}{x}\right)=\infty$$



As the log of the limit is $+\infty$ the limit is $+\infty$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...