Monday 21 October 2013

$sum_{i=0}^n frac{1}{(i+3)(i+4)} = frac{n}{4(n+4)}$ (prove by induction)

I'm having some difficulty proving by induction the following statement.




$$\sum_{i=0}^n \frac{1}{(i+3)(i+4)} = \frac{n}{4(n+4)}$$



I have shown that $\sum_{i=0}^n \frac{1}{(i+3)(i+4)} = \frac{n}{4(n+4)}$ holds for $n=1$ (equals $\frac{1}{20}$) , but I am getting stuck on the induction step.



As far as I know I have to show $$\sum_{i=0}^n \frac{1}{(i+3)(i+4)} = \frac{n}{4(n+4)}$$
implies
$$\sum_{i=0}^{n+1} \frac{1}{(i+3)(i+4)} = \frac{n+1}{4(n+5)}$$



To do this I think I should add the number $\frac{1}{(n+4)(n+5)}$ to $\frac{n}{4(n+4)}$ and see if it gives $\frac{n+1}{4(n+5)}$ , if I am not mistaken.




When trying to do that however I get stuck. I have:



$$\frac{n}{4(n+4)} +\frac{1}{(n+4)(n+5)} = \frac{n(n+4)(n+5)}{4(n+4)^2(n+5)} + \frac{4(n+4)}{4(n+4)^2(n+5)} = \frac{n(n+4)(n+5)+4(n+4)}{4(n+4)^2(n+5)} = \frac{n(n+5)+4}{4(n+4)(n+5)}$$



However beyond this point I don't know how to reach $\frac{n+1}{4(n+5)}$ I always just end up at the starting point of that calculation.



So I think that either my approach must be wrong or I am missing some trick how to simplify $$\frac{(n(n+5)+4}{4(n+4)(n+5)}$$



I would be very grateful for any help, as this is a task on a preparation sheet for the next exam and I don't know anyone, that has a correct solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...