An example in chapter 14.2 in Dummit and Foote computes the minimal polynomial for $\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}$ over $\mathbb{Q}$. We consider the field $\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3})$, and note that this is the same field as $\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2},\sqrt{3})$. Now, the other roots of the minimal polynomial for $\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}$ over $\mathbb{Q}$ are the distinct conjugates of $\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}$ under the Galois group. The distincr conjugates are $\pm\sqrt{2}\pm\sqrt{3}$. The minimal polynomial is therefore $[x-(\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3})][x-(\sqrt{2}-\sqrt{3})][x-(-\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3})][x-(-\sqrt{2}-\sqrt{3})]$. The next sentence states that this is "quickly computed" to be the polynomial $x^4-10x^2+1$. My question is how is this quickly computed? I'm not sure of a way to do it other than tediously expanding it. Further, how do we know that $x^4-10x^2+1$ is, in fact, irreducible?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$
How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...
-
How can one proof the equality $$\sum\limits_{v=0}^k \frac{k^v}{v!}=\sum\limits_{v=0}^k \frac{v^v (k-v)^{k-v}}{v!(k-v)!}$$ for $k\in\mathbb{...
-
How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...
-
If you think about the limit definition of the derivative, $dy$ represents $$\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\dfrac {f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}$$, and $dx...
No comments:
Post a Comment