Monday 29 June 2015

elementary set theory - Does $a le b$ imply $a+cle b+c$ for cardinal numbers?




Let $a, b, c$ be cardinalities.



Prove or disprove:



If $a \le b$ then $a+c\le b+c$





I realize that $a \le b$ means that there's a bijection between A and B. But I don't really know what to do with the addition in the inequality.



Can I simply separate this into cases where one or two cardinalities are infinite while the others aren't and then just solve from there like numbers or known cardinalities like $\aleph_0$ ?



Thanks.


Answer



I will prove something stronger -



For cardinals $a,b,c$ and $d$, if $a\leq c$ and $b\leq d$, then $a+b\leq c+d$.




Proof: Let $A,B,C$ and $D$ be sets with the cardinals $a,b,c$ and $d$ respectively, and $A\cap B=C\cap D=\emptyset$.
If $a\leq c$ and $b\leq d$, then there exists injective functions $f:A\to C$ and $g:B\to D$. By defining new function $h:A\cup B\to C\cup D$ with



$$h(x)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
f(x) & x\in A\\
g(x) & x\in B
\end{matrix}\right.$$



That $h(x)$ is well defined(why?) and injective one(why?). From that, we get




$$|A\cup B|\leq|C\cup D|$$



i.e. $a+b\leq c+d$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...