Tuesday 16 June 2015

elementary set theory - Proving the Commutative, Associative and Distributive laws of Sets

I have looked all over the web and can't find any elegant proofs for the commutative, associative and distributive laws of Sets:




Commutative Law
$$A\cup B = B\cup A, \ A\cap B = B\cap A$$
Associative Law
$$A\cup (B\cup C) = (A\cup B)\cup C, \ A\cap (B\cap C) = (A\cap B)\cap C$$
Distributive Law
$$A\cap (B\cup C) = (A\cap B)\cup (A\cap C), A\cup (B\cap C) = (A\cup B)\cap (A\cup C) $$



How would these be proved in an elegant way?




The question comes from Tom M Apostol Calculus Volume I book. He gives an example proof of the commutative law as follows.




Let $X=A\cup B$, $Y=B\cup A$. To prove that $X=Y$ we prove that $X\subseteq Y$ and $Y\subseteq X$. Suppose that $x\in X$. Then $x$ is in at least one of $A$ or $B$. Hence, $x$ is in at least one of $B$ or $A$; so $x\in Y$. Thus, every element of $X$ is also in $Y$, so $X\subseteq Y$. Similary, we find that $Y\subseteq X$, so $X=Y$




He doesn't presuppose knowledge of truth tables. Can this proof be written in a more mathematical and concise way? How would I go about writing concise proofs for the other laws?



I understand the logic, but I am new to mathematical language.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...