Sunday 14 June 2015

Principal square root of complex numbers



Let $\sqrt.:= r^{1/2}[cos(\theta/2)+isin(\theta/2)], 0 \leq \theta < 2\pi$
define the the particular square root of a complex number.



For what values of z does the equation $\sqrt{z^2} = z$ hold?




I am really sorry, but this question has me stumped and I have no idea how to proceed, hence I couldn't show any working. If someone could please give me a hint.


Answer



The problem arises when $\theta>\pi$. Let $\theta =\pi + \delta$ where $0<\delta <\pi$. Then, we have



$$z^2=r^2e^{i2\delta}$$



on the branch for which arguments are restricted between $0$ and $2\pi$. Then, the square root of $z^2$ is



$$\sqrt{z^2}=re^{i\delta}=re^{i(\theta -\pi)}=-re^{i\theta}\ne z=re^{i\theta}$$




Therefore, the relationship $\sqrt{z^2}=z$ is valid only for $0\le \arg (z) <\pi$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...