Wednesday 13 April 2016

calculus - Paradox: Is the derivative of this function continuous at $x=0$?

\begin{equation}
h(x)=
\begin{cases}
x^2 \sin(\frac{1}{x})&\text{ if } x\neq 0\\
0&\text{ if } x=0

\end{cases}
\end{equation}
Is the derivative of $h(x)$ continuous at $x = 0$?



How about the derivative of $k(x) = xh(x)$?



When I tried to differentiate it directly, the $\cos(1/x)$ in the result suggests that the limit of $h'(x)$ when $x\rightarrow 0$ does not exist.

However, when I use the definition to calculate the derivative, it shows that the derivative is $0$ when $x\rightarrow0$.




Which one is correct?

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...