Sunday 17 April 2016

Finding Fourier series y=|1-x|



I've been struggling with finding Fourier series of the given function for a while now
enter image description here



I've calculated my coefficients using formulas :










Though my results does approximate function sufficiently enough (see the picture), I'm pretty sure that I did something wrong, as online calculators give me different values for coefficients, and the sum of some series(like (-1)^n/n^2) does not match expected values(integrals are calculated correctly). Is there something wrong with how I approach solving those integrals for coefficients or maybe there are some other pitfalls that I could have encountered? I would really appreciate it if you could help me out at least with calculating . Thank you in advance.



enter image description here



Resulting Furier series




enter image description here


Answer



Here are my calculations. I haven't thoroughly checked them, but hopefully they will help.



$a_n = \frac {1}{2}[\int_{-2}^1 (1-x)\cos \frac {n\pi}{2} x - \int_1^2 (1-x)\cos \frac {n\pi}{2} x]\\
\frac 12[\frac {2(x-1)}{n\pi}\sin\frac {n\pi}{2} x + \frac {4}{n^2\pi^2} \cos\frac {n\pi}{2} x|_1^2 + \frac {2(x-1)}{n\pi}\sin\frac {n\pi}{2} x + \frac {4}{n^2\pi^2} \cos\frac {n\pi}{2} x|_1^{-2}]$



Evaluated at $x = 2,$ and $x = -2,$



$\sin\frac {n\pi}{2} x = 0\\

\cos\frac {n\pi}{2} x = (-1)^n$



at $x = 1, (x-1) = 0$



$\cos\frac {n\pi}{2} x = 0$ if $n$ is odd, $-1$ if $n\equiv 2 \pmod 4$, $1$ if $n\equiv4\pmod 4$



$a_n = -\frac {4}{n^2\pi^2}, \frac {8}{n^2\pi^2},-\frac {4}{n^2\pi^2},0 $ when $n \equiv 1,2,3,4$ respectively.



$b_n = \frac {1}{2}[\int_{-2}^1 (1-x)\sin \frac {n\pi}{2} x - \int_1^2 (1-x)\sin \frac {n\pi}{2} x]\\
\frac12[\frac {4}{n^2\pi^2} \sin\frac {n\pi}{2} x - \frac {2(x-1)}{n\pi}\cos\frac {n\pi}{2} x]$




Evaluated at:



$x = 2\\
\frac {2}{n\pi}\cos n\pi\\(-1)^n\frac {2}{n\pi}$



$x = -2\\
\frac {6}{n\pi}\cos n\pi\\(-1)^n\frac {6}{n\pi}$



$x = 1\\

\frac {4}{n^2\pi^2} \sin\frac {n\pi}{2}\\
\frac {4}{n^2\pi^2}, 0 ,-\frac {4}{n^2\pi^2}, 0$



$b_n = -\frac{4}{n\pi} - \frac {4}{n^2\pi},\frac{4}{n\pi},-\frac{4}{n\pi} + \frac {4}{n^2\pi}, \frac{4}{n\pi}$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...