Wednesday 20 April 2016

real analysis - Show that $sqrt{2+sqrt{2+sqrt{2...}}}$ converges to 2




Consider the sequence defined by
$a_1 = \sqrt{2}$, $a_2 = \sqrt{2 + \sqrt{2}}$, so that in general, $a_n = \sqrt{2 + a_{n - 1}}$ for $n > 1$.
I know 2 is an upper bound of this sequence (I proved this by induction). Is there a way to show that this sequence converges to 2? What I think is that the key step is to prove 2 is the least upper bound of this sequence. But how?


Answer



Let $ x = \sqrt {2 + \sqrt {2 + \sqrt {2 + \cdots}}} $. Then, note that $$ x^2 = 2 + \sqrt {2 + \sqrt {2 + \cdots}} = 2 + x \implies x^2 - x - 2 = 0. $$Note that the two solutions to this equation are $x=2$ and $x=-1$, but since this square root cannot be negative, it must be $2$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...