Friday 22 April 2016

calculus - Quadratic Formula Returns Different Root Signs



My question is as follows:



I am currently working on a problem set for "Integration of Rational Functions By Partial Fractions" and I came across the following problem:




$$\int_0^1 \frac{2}{2x^2+3x+1} \,dx$$



Now, the issue I have is with factoring the demoninator.



When I used the quadratic formula:



$$\begin{equation*} x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^{2} -4ac}}{2a} \end{equation*}$$



I came up with the roots:




$$\biggl(x-\frac{1}{2}\biggl)\biggl(x-1\biggl)$$



I then multiplied the left hand root by 2:
$$(2x-1)(x-1)$$



However, when I multiplied out these two roots, I came out with:
$$2x^2-3x+1$$



I know I am most likely doing something wrong, but I have looked for other questions similar to this one and I have been having a hard time finding out an accurate explanation of what my error is in this problem.




(edit)



The format for quadratic roots is as follows:
$$(x-a)(x-b)$$



Therefore, if either a or b is negative, then the resulting root would be positive.



As a result, the two roots would therefore be:




$$(2x+1)(x+1)$$



Thanks


Answer



HINT: it is $$2x^2+3x+1=(x+1)(2x+1)$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...