Saturday 23 April 2016

complex analysis - Describe the set whose points satisfy the following relation: $|z^2 - 1| < 1$



There is a hint which states to use polar coordinates, but I feel like that complicates the problem more. As far as trying it myself, I get lost very early on. If we take $z = r(\cos{\theta} + i\sin{\theta})$, then we have



$|r^2(\cos{2\theta} + i\sin{2\theta}) - 1| < 1$




But I have no idea how to find the modulus of this point with that extra $-1$ in there.


Answer



Hint



Taking the square, we get after simplifying



$r^2<2\cos(2\theta)$



The set is inside the curve defined by its polar equation




$r=\sqrt{2\cos(2\theta)}$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...