I want to evaluate the following indefinite integral
$$ \int_0^{\infty} x^{p - 1} \cos (ax) dx$$ where $0 < p < 1$ and $a > 0$. I was considering the function $f(z) = z^{p - 1} e^{iaz}$ and integrate it over the contour $\gamma = [-R, -\epsilon] - C_{\epsilon}^+ + [\epsilon, R] + C_R^+$. (Here $C_r^+$ denote the upper half circle centered at $0$ with radius $r$). However I only get
$$ \int_0^{\infty} x^{p - 1} e^{iax} dx - e^{i \pi p} \int_0^{\infty} x^{p - 1} e^{-iax} dx = 0$$ instead, which only gives some relation between $\int_0^{\infty} x^{p - 1} \sin (ax) dx$ and $\int_0^{\infty} x^{p - 1} \cos (ax) dx$. I know the result is somehow related to gamma function that is $$ \int_0^{\infty} x^{p - 1} \cos(x) dx =\frac{ \pi }{ 2 \Gamma(1 - p) \sin( (1 - p) \pi / 2) }$$ So would the regular method using complex analysis can still evaluate this integral?
Thursday, 9 June 2016
Evaluation of definite integral using complex analysis
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$
How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...
-
How can one proof the equality $$\sum\limits_{v=0}^k \frac{k^v}{v!}=\sum\limits_{v=0}^k \frac{v^v (k-v)^{k-v}}{v!(k-v)!}$$ for $k\in\mathbb{...
-
If you think about the limit definition of the derivative, $dy$ represents $$\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\dfrac {f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}$$, and $dx...
-
How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...
No comments:
Post a Comment