Monday 20 June 2016

Formula for a sequence




I have this sequence:
$-2, 1, 6, 13, 22, 33, ...$



where each term is the previous plus an odd number. The odd numbers are increasing from 3. I am asked to find an explicit formula with respect to $n$ which can give me the $n$-th number in the sequence. The sequence starts at $n = 1$.



I tried to find a pattern, without success. I then tried to write the sequence as a recursive formula:
$a_1 = -2$
$a_{n + 1} = a_n + 2n + 1$



and then I got stuck.




Can you please advice me about the way to go?



Thanks,
rubik


Answer



Hint: Add $3$ to every number in your sequence.



Remark: A related result is that the sum of the first $n$ odd positive integers is equal to $n^2$. This follows easily from the fact that $n^2-(n-1)^2=2n-1$. There is also an attractive proof without words.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...