Tuesday 28 June 2016

real analysis - The series $sum_{n=1}^infty a_n$ converges absolutely, does the series $sum_{n=1}^infty a_{n_k}$ converge?



If the series $\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n$ converges absolutely



and $a_{n_k}$ is sub sequence of $a_n$




does the series $\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_{n_k}$ also always converge ?



Since I failed to found any counter-example,
and the only connection between absolutely convergence of $\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n$ and convergence of $\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_{n_k}$ in my textbook is this theorem:
the series $\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n$ converges absolutely iif the series of positive and negative members of $a_n$ converges,
I concluded that my proof must be somehow connected to this theorem.



In this stage I arrived to the dead-end.




Could you please give me some hint how to deal with this question ?



Thanks.


Answer



Yes, it does. Since $\{n_k : k \in \mathbb{N}\} \subseteq \{n : n \in \mathbb{N}\}$, we see that



$$\sum_k \left|a_{n_k}\right| \le \sum_n |a_n| < \infty$$



So the relevant sum is, in fact, absolutely convergent.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...