Tuesday 28 June 2016

real analysis - A discontinuous function at every point in $[0,1]$


Suppose you are given a measurable set $E\subset[0,1]$ such that for any nonempty open sub-interval $I$ in $[0,1]$, both sets $E \cap I$ and $E^c \cap I$ have positive measure. Then, for the function $f:=\chi_E$, where $\chi_E$ is characteristic function, show that whenever $g(x)=f(x)$ a.e. in $x$, then $g$ must be discontinuous at every point in $[0,1]$ .





I think we can take advantage of the problem of making a measurable subset $E ⇢ [0, 1]$ such that for every sub-interval $I$, both $E \ I$ and $I - E$ have positive measure by taking a Cantor-type subset of $[0, 1]$ with positive measure and on each sub-interval of the complement of this set, and construct another such set, and so on. I don't know if I am right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...