Thursday 9 June 2016

probability - What are the percent chances of rolling a number when you roll two dice and take the higher number?



Say I roll two twenty-sided dice and always take the higher number rolled, and dispose of the lower number. What are the percent chances of rolling each number on the die?
I tried the equations in this question: What is the average of rolling two dice and only taking the value of the higher dice roll?

But for some reason I couldn't get the correct answer.


Answer



There is $1$ way to get a $1$, namely $(1,1)$



There are $3$ ways to get a $2$, namely $(1,2),(2,2),(2,1)$



There are $5$ ways to get a $3$, namely $(1,3),(2,3),(3,3),(3,2),(3,1)$



In general there are $2k-1$ ways to get a $k$.




The basic percentage unit is $0.25\%$, so the percentage chance to throw a $k$ is $(\frac{2k-1}{4})\%$, e.g. for $k=5$ the percentage is $1.25\%$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...