Monday 24 April 2017

arithmetic - How can you multiply decimal values without using a multiplication or division operator?



I figured out a problem challenging me to write code to do this with integers, but I was wondering how I would have done it if it had been decimals and I couldn't figure it out.


Answer



Let








with $a_1, b_1 \in \Bbb Z$ and $a_2, b_2 \in \Bbb Z$ and $a_2 \le 0$ and $b_2 \le 0$ and





and





Both the numbers $a_0$ and $b_0$ are either integers or actual (finite length) decimals with this representation.




Now





Of course if $a_2 + b_2 \lt 0$ we have to make sure that the form is 'fixed up' to give a pure representation - you have to check/cancel at least one trailing zero (least significant digit) in the product $a_0 b_0$ when represented as a string of digits.






Example: $a_0 = 5$ and $b_0 = 0.2$:










The exponent is negative and the integer part has $0$ at the far right end. So you remove a zero and increment the exponent.






Since the exponent isn't negative there is nothing to check - the product is an integer and we are writing it in standard $\text{integer or decimal}$ form using $\text{(2)}$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...