Sunday 30 April 2017

real analysis - A power series involving binomial coefficients

I've been playing around with infinite sums for quite a while now, but recently, I've come across the following question in an Under-Graduate Mathematics Book that is specifically targeted at problem solving. The problem is as follows,



Evaluate the following:
$$\sum_{r=2}^\infty \Biggl(\binom{2r}{r}{\biggl(\frac{x}{4}\biggr)^r}\Biggr)^2$$



where x is strictly less than unity.



I've thoroughly checked that the sum is, in fact, convergent, however, I am completely stumped as to how I am to evaluate it. I am guessing that the final expression is one involving the variable 'x' since I do not see any way for it to be eliminated somehow. Any kind of hint/solution/explanation to the problem would be highly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...