Wednesday 26 April 2017

derivatives - Application of Mean Value Theorem and Interval



Using the mean value theorem establish the inequality $$7\frac{1}{4}<\sqrt{53}<7\frac{2}{7}$$



This is obviously a true statement but can you help me form the interval and what function I should use to prove this using the mean value theorem? I've only done problems where the interval is given.




Thanks!


Answer



You can consider the function $f:[0,\infty)\to \mathbb{R}$ given by $f(x)=\sqrt{x}$ and the interval [49, 53]. By the Men Value Theorem there exists some $c\in (49, 53)$ such that
$$
\frac{\sqrt{53}-7}{4}= \frac{1}{2\sqrt{c}}
$$
or equivalently,
$$
\frac{\sqrt{53}-7}{2}= \frac{1}{\sqrt{c}}
$$

Because $49$$
\frac{1}{8}<\frac{\sqrt{53}-7}{2}<\frac{1}{7}
$$
Wich implies that
$$
7+\frac{1}{4}<\sqrt{53}<7+ \frac{2}{7}
$$
(and I suppose this is the inequality you wanted to show, not the other one you gave in the problem)


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...