Tuesday 23 July 2013

calculus - Use L'Hôpital's rule to solve $lim_{xto 0^{+}}sin(x)ln(x)$



Use L'Hôpital's rule to solve



$$\lim_{x\to 0^{+}}\sin(x)\ln(x)$$




My attempt:



$$\lim_{x\to 0^{+}}\sin(x)\ln(x) = \lim_{x\to 0^{+}} \frac{\ln(x)}{\sin(x)}$$



$\frac{\ln(0)}{\sin(0)}$ is in the form $\frac{-\infty}{0}$, it is indeterminate, and as such, using L'Hôpital's rule:



$$\lim_{x\to 0^{+}} \frac{\ln(x)}{\sin(x)} = \lim_{x\to0^{+}}\frac{1}{x\cos(x)}$$



I would have applied L'Hôpital's rule again, but to my horror, I realise that $\frac{1}{0}$ is not an indeterminate form, according to Wikipedia.




I realized that my reasoning, while it could let me get the correct answer, is wrong! How do you solve this question now?



EDIT: Is $\frac{-\infty}{0}$ indeterminate as well? I couldn't find it in Wikipedia. If it is not indeterminate, I couldn't use L'Hôpital's rule too!


Answer



It would be re-written as : $$\lim_{x \to 0^+} \frac{\ln (x)}{\csc (x)}$$



Instead of $$ \frac{\ln(x)}{\sin(x)}$$
Now use L'Hopital's rule.




Also note that the form $\dfrac{\infty}{0}$ isn't indeterminate, it already tends to $\infty$. The problem in your solution is that you accidentally wrote : $$\frac{1}{\sin x}= \sin x$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...