Wednesday 24 July 2013

radicals - Assuming convergence of the following series, find the value of $sqrt{6+sqrt{6+sqrt{6+...}}}$




Assuming convergence of the following series, find the value of $\sqrt{6+\sqrt{6+\sqrt{6+...}}}$




I was advised to proceed with this problem through substitution but that does not seem to help unless I am substituting the wrong parts. If i substitute the $6$, well then i am just stuck with above.



Any ideas on how to proceed. Also, what is the purpose of stating that it is convergent.


Answer



Let $x=\sqrt{6+\sqrt{6+\sqrt{6+...}}}$, then observe that $x=\sqrt{6+x}$. Squaring both sides yields
$$
x^2=x+6
$$
, which is a quadratic formula. Solve it normally and choose the wise answer out of the 2 roots.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...