Friday 19 July 2013

trigonometry - When finding $sintheta$ and $costheta$ given $tantheta = frac35$, shouldn't I get positive and negative answers?


Q: Find the exact value of $\cos\theta$ and $\sin\theta $ if $ \tan\theta=\frac{3}{5}$




To solve it I got told to draw the triangle and label the sides and then find cos and sin. The answer from the answer sheet gives both cos and sin as positive solutions. However, I thought that, since tan is positive in both the 1st and 3rd quadrants, then you could draw the triangle in those two quadrants. So,





Why don't you get plus-minus solutions for $\sin\theta$ and $\cos\theta$ ?


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...