Friday 26 July 2013

Induction proof inequality

So I got this induction proof question but I can't seem to make a logical statement in one part of it:




The question is , $a_{n + 1} = 5 - \frac{6}{a_n + 2}$ with
$a_1 = 1$ . Prove by induction that $a_n < 4$ for $n \geq 1$



I reached up to the proof where I need to prove $a_{k+1} <4$



Proof



$a_k <4 \implies a_k + 2<6 $



The next step I want to put is:




$\frac{6}{ a_k +2} >1$



However I can only justify this statement if $a_k > -2$ but I can't seem to prove that or find any info in the question to suggest that it.



Can anyone help me with the proof or my theory?

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...