Sunday 30 March 2014

Any counterexample to answer this question on elementary geometry?



Question: See the figure below. If AB=BC and DE=EF, is the line DF parallel to the line AC?



enter image description here



This should be an elementary problem. But I can't construct a counterexample to disprove the above question. If the answer is negative, please give a counterexample. Thanks.


Answer



Hint:





  • Let $D'F'$ be a segment analogous to $DF$ such that $E \in D'F'$ and $D'F' \parallel AC$.

  • Then $\triangle DED'$ and $\triangle FEF'$ are congruent and so $DD' \parallel FF'$.



I hope this helps $\ddot\smile$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...