Friday 21 March 2014

calculus - Closed form expression for infinite series



I was given the following function:



$$ f(x) = x + \frac{2x^3}{1\cdot3} + \frac{2\cdot4x^5}{1\cdot3\cdot5} + \frac{2\cdot4\cdot6x^7}{1\cdot3\cdot5\cdot7}... $$ $$ \forall x \in [0,1) $$



And then I was asked to find the value of $ f(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}) $, which obviously requires me to compute the closed form expression of the infinite series.




I tried 'Integration as a limit of sum' but I was unable to modify the expression accordingly. How do I approach the problem?


Answer



Another answer. We use formulas
$$\int_0^{\pi/2}\sin^{2n+1}sds=\frac{(2n)!!}{(2n+1)!!},$$
$$\sum_{k=0}^{\infty }{\left. {{z}^{2 k+1}}\right.}=\frac{z}{1-{{z}^{2}}},\quad |z|<1.$$
Then
$$f(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^{2n+1}(2n)!!}{(2n+1)!!}\\=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}x^{2n+1}\int_0^{\pi/2}\sin^{2n+1}sds\\
=\int_0^{\pi/2}\left(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(x\sin s)^{2n+1} \right)ds\\=
\int_0^{\pi/2}\frac{x\sin s}{1-x^2\sin^2s}ds\\={\frac {1}{\sqrt {1-x^2}}\arctan \left( {\frac {x}{\sqrt {1-x^2}}} \right) }
$$


We get
$$f\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt2}\right)=\sqrt2\arctan1=\frac{\sqrt2\pi}{4}$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...