Wednesday 12 March 2014

elementary number theory - Prove $(3+sqrt{11})^{1/3}$ is irrational.



I can't say I've gotten very far. You can show $3 + \sqrt{11}$ is irrational, call it $a$. Then I tried supposing it's rational, i.e.:



$a^{1/3}$ = $\frac{m}{n}$ for $m$ and $n$ integers.



You can write $m$ and $n$ in their canonical factorizations, then cube both sides of the equation...but I can't seem to derive a contradiction.


Answer



If $(3 + \sqrt{11})^\frac{1}{3}=\frac{p}{q}$ were a rational, then $3 + \sqrt{11}=\frac{p^3}{q^3}$ would also be a rational.



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...