Monday 24 March 2014

elementary number theory - Given two coprime integers, find multiples of them that differ by 1

I'll describe the problem with an example.




Find integers $n$ and $m$ such that $n\cdot13 + m\cdot101 = 1$.



This is the same as solving the equation $n\cdot13 \equiv 1 \pmod {101}$




I'm revising for a maths exam in a few days and it seems like a lot of the questions and examples rely on an ability to solve this type of problem. I can't seem to find a method in my notes, the solutions just get plucked out of thin air!




What is a neat way of doing it on pen and paper with a calculator?

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...