Friday 21 March 2014

elementary number theory - Prove $gcd(a+b,a^2+b^2)$ is $1$ or $2$ if $gcd(a,b) = 1$




Assuming that $\gcd(a,b) = 1$, prove that $\gcd(a+b,a^2+b^2) = 1$ or $2$.





I tried this problem and ended up with
$$d\mid 2a^2,\quad d\mid 2b^2$$
where $d = \gcd(a+b,a^2+b^2)$, but then I am stuck; by these two conclusions how can I conclude $d=1$ or $2$?
And also is there any other way of proving this result?


Answer



From what you have found, you can conclude easily.



If $d$ divides two numbers, it also divides their gcd, so




$$d| \gcd (2a^2,2b^2) = 2 \gcd (a,b) ^2 =2.$$



So, $d$ is a divisor of 2 and thus either 1 or 2.





No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...