Tuesday 25 March 2014

elementary number theory - Prove that there is no polynomial with integer coefficients such that $p(a)=b,,p(b)=c,,p(c)=a$ for distinct integers $a,b,c$




Our teacher gave us this question but I am very stuck. I drew graphs to see why it cant be true but I didnt find anything. I see that if $p$ existed then: $$p(\cdots p(a))=a,\;p(\cdots p(b))=b,\;p(\cdots p(c))=c$$



(With $3n$ $p$'s). But I don't know where the contradiction is... Maybe we can work on the divisibility of the polynomials coefficients or something?


Answer



Hint $\ $ Writing $\rm\,px\,$ for $\rm\,p(x)\,$ and applying the Factor Theorem we have



$$\rm\,\ a\!-\!b\mid pa\!-\!pb = b\!-\!c\mid pb\!-\!pc=c\!-\!a\mid pc\!-\!pa = a\!-\!b\ $$



therefore we deduce $\rm\,\ a\!-\!b\mid b\!-\!c\mid c\!-\!a\mid a\!-\!b\ $ hence $\rm\ \ldots$



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...