Wednesday 12 March 2014

real analysis - How to prove that $a_{n+1} = 1 + frac{a_n}{a_n +1}$ is monotone increasing with $a_1=1$

This question has been driving me crazy, and I can't find the answer anywhere.



I tried proving it using induction.



As for the base case:




$a_1=1<1.5=a_2$



Next, suppose $a_k \leq a_{k+1}$



Then,



$$a_k \leq a_{k+1}$$
$$a_k +1 \leq a_{k+1}+1$$
$$ \frac{1}{a_k+1}\geq \frac{1}{ a_{k+1}+1} $$

$$ \frac{a_k}{a_k+1}\geq \frac{a_k}{ a_{k+1}+1} $$
$$ \frac{a_k}{a_k+1} +1\geq \frac{a_k}{ a_{k+1}+1}+1 $$



My goal was to get
$$ \frac{a_k}{a_k+1} +1\leq \frac{a_{k+1}}{ a_{k+1}+1}+1 $$
$$a_{k+1} \leq a_{k+2}$$



But obviously, I was not able to find a way.



I also tried a different inductive approach where I noted

$$a_{k+2}=\frac{5 a_n +3}{3 a_n +2}$$
You can check that this is true by seeing you get the correct $a_3=1.6$ using the given $a_1=1$.



Assuming $a_k \leq a_{k+1}$ I had that



$$ a_k \leq 1 + \frac{a_n}{a_n +1}$$
$$ \frac{a_n}{a_n +1} +1 \leq \frac{{a_n}^2 + 4a_n +2}{{a_n}^2+2a_n+1}$$



From the assumption $a_k \leq 1 + \frac{a_n}{a_n +1}$, we have that ${a_n}^2 \leq a_n +1$, so
$$ \frac{a_n}{a_n +1} +1 \leq \frac{{a_n}^2 + 4a_n +2}{{a_n}^2+2a_n+1} \leq \frac{(a_n+1) +4a_n +2}{{a_n}^2+2a_n+1} =\frac{5a_n+3}{{a_n}^2+2a_n+1}$$




If only I could change the denominator the same way while keeping the direction of the inequality, I could substitute $a_n+1$ for ${a_n}^2$ and I would get the desired $\frac{5 a_n +3}{3 a_n +2}$, proving that $$a_{k+1} \leq a_{k+2}$$ since $$a_{k+2}=\frac{5 a_n +3}{3 a_n +2}$$.



How do I prove the sequence is monotonic increasing? Both of these routes did not get me to the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...