Friday 23 September 2016

calculus - Does the series converge: $sum_2^inftyfrac{log n}{n(log log n)^2}$



Does the series $$\sum_2^\infty\frac{\log n}{n(\log \log n)^2}$$
converge?



The root and ratio tests are inconclusive, the integral test may be too difficult to apply. I've tried the limit comparison test with $\log n/n$ but that is also inconclusive since $$\frac{\frac{\log n}{n(\log \log n)^2}}{\frac{\log n}{n}}=\frac{1}{(\log \log n)^2}\to 0.$$


Answer



Using the Cauchy condensation test, (cf Wikipedia), your series diverges.
The transformed series reads :
$$ \sum_{n} 2^n \frac{n}{2^n \log^2 n} = \sum_{n}\frac{n}{\log^2 n}$$




Remark : I interpreted $\log$ as a base two logarithm, which does not affect the result


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...