Wednesday 28 September 2016

combinatorics - Solving ${{2x - 3}choose{1- x^2}} = 3$

I was given this problem by my sister, she took it from a past paper in her calculus class (12 grade).



As the title reads, we are asked to solve the equation:




$${{2x - 3}\choose{1- x^2}} = 3$$





Now this seems a particularly strange problem to me. I see no way to solve this, provided that they haven't studied anything regarding binomial expansions with rational coefficients.



After going through the base conditions that $x$ should satisfy and trying some combinatorial identities I came empty handed. Wolfram Alpha provides a numerical solution that I don't see how to come by using pen and paper.



How would you solve this without making any use of any mathematical apparatus (i.e. gamma function) behind high school level calculus?

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...