Monday 19 September 2016

Confused with imaginary numbers

In 9th grade I had an argument with my teacher that



${i}^{3}=i$




where $i=\sqrt{-1}$



But my teacher insisted (as is the accepted case) that:



${i}^{3}=-i$



My Solution:



${i}^3=(\sqrt{-1})^3$




${i}^3=\sqrt{(-1)^3}$



${i}^3=\sqrt{-1\times-1\times-1}$



${i}^3=\sqrt{-1}$



${i}^3=i$



Generally accepted solution:




${i}^3=(\sqrt{-1})^3$



${i}^3=\sqrt{-1}\times\sqrt{-1}\times\sqrt{-1}$



${i}^3=-\sqrt{-1}$



${i}^3=-i$



What is so wrong with my approach? Is it not logical?




I am using the positive square root. There seems to be something about the order in which the power should be raised? There must be a logical reason, and I need help understanding it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...