Wednesday 28 September 2016

elementary number theory - Divisibility Proof with Induction - Stuck on Induction Step




I'm working on a problem that's given me the run around for about a weekend. The statement:



For all $m$ greater than or equal to $2$ and for all $n$ greater than or equal to $0$, $m - 1$ divides $m^n - 1$.



Using induction over $n$, the base step comes easy since $m^n - 1$ is $0$ when $n = 0$.



My induction hypothesis is letting $k \geq 0$ and assuming that $m - 1$ divides $m^k - 1$. In order to show that $m - 1$ divides $m^{k+1} - 1$, I obviously need to use the induction hypothesis. However, no matter where I try to use the fact that $m^k - 1 = (m-1)a$ for some $a$ in the integers, the expression $m^{k+1} - 1$ always becomes more difficult to get to $m^{k+1} - 1$ being equal to $(m-1)b$ for some $b$ in the integers.



In other words, I can't figure out any actually helpful way to apply the induction hypothesis with the goal of proving the next step.




Any help would be appreciated!


Answer



Hint:



$$m^{k+1}-1=m^{k+1}-m^k+m^k-1$$



Can you take it from there?


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...