Wednesday 1 May 2019

gcd and lcm - GCD Proof to find all integers that satisfy $am + bn = gcd(a, b)$



I have this question that I'm not entirely sure how to answer.





Suppose that $a, b$ are non-zero integers. Find all integers $m, n$
such that $am + bn = \gcd(a, b)$




I know that it suffices to show that if $m, n$ and $m', n'$ are 2 possible solutions that showing that $\frac{b}{\gcd(a, b)}\mid m-m'$ and $\frac{a}{\gcd(a, b)}\mid n-n'$. However, I'm not entirely sure how to get there. Thanks.


Answer



Let $c = \text{gcd}(a,b)$.





  • Hint 1: Start with $am + bn = c$ and $am' + bn' = c$. What happens if you combine these equations?

  • Hint 2: What is the value of $\text{gcd}(a/c, b/c)$?

  • Hint 3: If $x \mid yz$ and $\text{gcd}(x,y) = 1$, what is the relationship between $x$ and $z$?


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...